“Access and Correction Obligation” Singapore PDPA Preventive measure 9 Obligations to follow PDPA (No.4)
4th Obligation (4/9)
The Access & Correction Obligation would be very useful for the customers if request are assisted promptly. This is a time when your organisation’s customer service would be put to a test. Before we go any further, it is good to know more about this obligation.
What is Access & Correction Obligation?
“Upon request, the personal data of an individual and information about the ways in which his or her personal data has been or may have been used or disclosed within a year before the request should be provided.”
Source from: www.pdpc.gov.sg
As an organisation, what can you do?
- Response to their request within 30 days.
- Provide the individual the information that had been used or disclosed within a year before from date of request.
- An organisation could charge a reasonable amount for the recovery of the information to assist with the access of this individual’s information.
- Kindly note, correction obligation is complimentary service to the customers.
When organization MUST NOT provide access to the individual?
- Threatens the safety, physical or mental health of another individual;
- Causes immediate or grave harm to the safety or physical or mental health of the individual who made the request;
- Reveals personal data about another individual;
- Reveals the identity of an individual who provided personal data about another individual;
- Contrary to national interest.
All these information needs to be set into your organisation’s policies hence all employees will be on the same page. Here are some questions to get you started:
- Is there a channel where the customer could request for access or correct their information?
- How soon must the employee response to the client request?
- Is there a department or staff specializing in these request?
- Would you consider online correction instead of hardcopies paper?
Access and Correction Obligation boils down to customer service, hence it is important to train up the staff in this expect. If you do have further enquiries about this obligation, feel free to contact MAMORU Singapore.