“To be give or not to give my consent?” Singapore PDPA Preventive measure 9 Obligations to follow PDPA (No.3)
1st Obligation (1/9)
There are times we just “consent” to the application without reading through. This is especially true for using of new apps. I would be sharing this in bite size for both as a consumer and organization.
What is it ?
- Consent: Permission for something to happen or agreement to do something
- Consent Obligation : Only collect, use or disclose personal data for purposes for which an individual has given his or her consent.
- Allow your customers to withdraw consent , with reasonable notice and let them know the consequences of withdrawal.
How to obtain it?
- Through verbal or written consent.
- It is best to collect in written or recorded manner for future reference.
- Deemed consent : Customer voluntarily provides the personal data to the organization for that purpose during reasonable circumstances.
- Events : It is possible to place a notice (for consent) at the entrance. For example : “Photography and video would be taken during this event”.
×Failure to Opt out is not regarded as consent in all situations. For example : If there is no reply , we will take it as you agree to this new arrangement.
What could you do ?
- Consumers are allow to withdraw consent with reasonable notice even after giving consent to the organization.
How to give consent?
- Voluntary in written or verbal agreement
- Acting on behalf of family members whom you had notified the purpose
- Help obtain the personal data from 3rd party with consent of the individual ( eg : friends)
This are the examples for Consent Obligation. If you do have any enquiries, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . The next article would be about Purpose Limitation Obligation.